How do I get a crosswalk painted where students cross street?

The appropriate people to speak with will depend on who has responsibility for maintaining the road segments where you believe crosswalk needs to be installed. In some states the roads within a municipality's boundaries are the sole responsibility of the municipality, in other locations the major roads within a municipality are owned and maintained by the state's department of transportation (DOT). If you live within a municipality you will want to contact the public works department, transportation department or planning department. They should be able to tell you who maintains the section of roads in question. If you live outside a municipality you can contact your county government and they should be able to tell you if the road is maintained by the county or state and if it is the state you will want to ask for a number and name or department within your states DOT with whom to speak. Once you have identified who to talk with you can then make your request known. Something to be aware of when taking your request to the appropriate department is there are situations where crosswalks are warranted and others where simply installing a crosswalk without other types of engineering treatments may not help. The appropriateness of where to install a marked crosswalk can vary from intersection to intersection. We have some information in the engineering section of our online SRTS Guide that can help inform your discussion with your local transportation engineer.

Explore other program tools: