How do I find SRTS funding from the federal program?

The federal Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program is administered within each state by that state's Dept. of Transportation. Consequently, each state is responsible for setting up and administering their program so long as it falls within the parameters set for by the SRTS federal guidelines. As such, we recommend that you contact the SRTS Coordinator within your state's DOT for information on SRTS funding. To obtain the contact information and website for your SRTS Coordinator please visit our Find State Contacts page and once there select your state on the interactive map or through the drop-down menu.

Please Note:

 In July 2012, Congress passed a new transportation bill: Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century (MAP-21). Beginning in October 2012, Safe Routes to School (SRTS) activities will be eligible to compete for funding alongside other programs, including the Transportation Enhancements program and Recreational Trails program, as part of a new program called Transportation Alternatives. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) is charged with putting the legislation into practice, and it provides information about MAP-21 on its website.

State SRTS programs are also in the process of determining how to handle the new legislation. As the States provide information about how they will proceed with Safe Routes to School, the information  will be available on our State SRTS pages.

Explore other program tools: