Are there any guidelines on constructing and installing signs, lighting, and pavement markings that are appropriate for Safe Routes to School programs?

There are national guidelines, as well as state guidelines for installing signs, lights, and other "street furniture". The national guidelines are collectively called the Manual for Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). This is available online at the Federal Highway Administration's MUTCD page . To find the guidelines for your state, contact your State SRTS Coordinator. To find the contact for your State SRTS Coordinator, use our Find State Contacts page.

Explore other program tools: